Monday, August 8, 2011

Small floral quilt...Done!

I posted earlier in the summer about my ideas for making a 20 x 20-inch quilt for my quilt guild's summer challenge project. In the end, I decided to used a quilt-as-you-go block that I'd made last year and had never used.  One of my favorite parts about his block is the back: I really love how it came out, even though I am new to this kind of machine appliqueing.  Here are a couple of photos showing details of how the back looks:

I'm sorry that the photo quality is not better, but you get the idea!
It was tricky to add borders to a quilt top that already had a backing and binding attached to it. Since I had made this as part of a class at City Quilter in Manhattan, I had a vague memory of the instructors teaching me how to do it, but that was about it.  After quite a bit of incorrect cutting (luckily I had extra fabric!) and ripping out of bad stitching I was able to create something that was more-or-less what I wanted. And I still have two more of these blocks, so maybe I'll make small quilts from them as well.

1 comment:

  1. It looks fantastic! The colors and prints are wonderful - what a neat method. I love the mitered striped interior border and the bindings you chose too. The Plaid Stars is gorgeous too.