Sunday, February 24, 2013

Big bag completed!

This is my new "Mondo Bag." I bought the pattern for it at a quilt shop in Vermont last year, and had put it away for some time in the future.....but at my last guild meeting I couldn't resist buying a package of coordinated batik strips that I thought would be perfect for the project and presto! Here it is.
The pattern comes with printed interfacing that you fuse the squares onto, and then you sew it afterwards, so it's less work than it looks. But it took me a long time, because I kept making mistakes that I had to rip out. I actually sewed the entire bag together incorrectly, and when I saw that what I'd made was not a bag at all but more like a crooked sculpture I had to take out EVERY seam and start again. In retrospect I think all the mistakes were my fault---I just didn't really read the directions carefully enough, and the bag construction was not what I expected. I think I could make a second one in about 1/3 the time it took me to make this one.
Now I feel like a real quilter, with a big quilted bag of my own to take to guild meetings. I can't wait to show it off at the March meeting.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sandy Quilt

I was excited to see this photo online posted by Nancy Rogers who put together a Sandy Quilt that I made some blocks for. Here it is:
I can see some of my blocks in there---they were fun and easy to make. Nancy did a great job!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Easy Street Back

I just finished piecing a back for my Easy Street quilt, and managed to use up almost all of the extra pieces I'd sewn for the front that had gone unused! I guess I ended up with so many extra geese and checkerboards because I changed the orientation of the blocks in the quilt: mine are straight set while Bonnie's are on point. All the rest of the pieces of fabric are from my stash, including a couple that a friend had given me when her mother (a quilter) had died. It feels great to finally use up some of my  stash that's been lurking around for years, and of course it makes room for the new fabric.

The front of the quilt looks pretty much the same as the last time I posted, but I've added a couple of slim borders. Sorry the photo is not better---I am still using my cell phone. Maybe today will be the day I finally take that camera in to see if the charger can be repaired! Then again, it's only 20 degrees, so maybe not.