Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Letter from a friend


This letter really touched me, and I'm sharing it with permission (although I'm leaving off my friend's name). The reason I thought my blog readers might like to read it is that it seems rare for a quilter to learn how a quilt they make for someone is actually used, and if it really means anything to them. We all send quilts off here, there, and everywhere and usually get a quick "thanks" but it's rare to get a note like this one:

"This morning I was changing my bed sheets and smoothing out the blankets and the quilt. And as I ran my hands over the quilt I was thinking about how much I love it. And then the Third Street apartment popped into my head and I remember those horrible days and nights after my husband left and how that quilt was at the bottom of my bed and it brought me so much comfort because I thought of you and all the support you have given me over the years and I thought of Nova Scotia. And I was thinking that that quilt is the one item that I strongly identify with Third Street that transferred back to Fourth Street and held, throughout, its good karma. And I thought about how much I loved it and how amazing it was that you made it for me. I feel like the quilt took care of me. I feel like it is a security blanket.
Thank you."


I've been smiling ever since I received it!
Ginny

2 comments:

  1. What a great letter and so wonderful to know that something you have taken the time to make has meant so much to your friend. Thanks for sharing. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. While making a quilt, so much love and thought goes into it, and it is so rewarding to find that part has been passed along with the quilt and found by the user. We seldom hear so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete