Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sunflower top finished

I'm so excited to have finally finished this quilt top! I've been working on it for several months, with the intention of putting it in our guild show in April, but the deadline was last week and I missed it. Lucky for me, quilters are nice, and I got an extra week and managed to crank it out.
I'm sending it off to be machine quilted early next week. The top is approximately 78 x 78 inches, so it will be a good size for my queen-sized bed.
I have had my eye on doing a medallion quilt for ages, but this is my first attempt. It was fun, but tricky to get the borders on correctly because I'm not a super accurate quilter. I think I'll try another one soon, and see if I can get a bit more comfortable working in this style and work towards being more precise.
So I machine pieced most of this quilt, but appliquéd the giant sunflower to the background by hand, and also appliquéd the leaves to the background. The inside border the the overlapping brown lines was copied from the floor in my dining room, and the stars in the border were paper-pieced.
I'll post another photo after it's quilted and bound. Happy day!


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful, and so happy you are entering it in a show. Lots of work and I love the colors. Can you let me what orange/chedder fabric you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny that quilt is spectacular and I would love to try making one eventually! I will have to practice my applique though as it is less than stellar. Can't wait to see it when it has been quilted. Hope the snow isn't too bad where you are. Have a great weekend. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Ginny!!! I just love it and it is a perfect quilt for the doldrums of winter!!! Can't wait to see it hanging at the quilt show. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! I love the pattern that looks like the wood inlay in so many of our brownstone homes. Can't wait to see it hanging in the Brooklyn Quilt Show, April 5 & 6!

    ReplyDelete