Friday, September 30, 2011

Making progress

I'm happy to report that I'm making progress on the scrappy trip around the world quilt I started recently. The best  thing about working on this quilt is how forgiving it is---I can sew, and cut, and move things around to my heart's content (which is just how I like to work) and the quilt still looks good. I don't have to worry about running out of any specific fabric, or making a cutting mistakes. Pretty much anything goes.

Here's the counter I work on, with the current crop of 2.5-inch strips that I've cut from my stash laid out:
I don't have them arranged in any kind of order---for awhile I tried to keep them organized by color, or by darks and lights. But I've found that I don't mind just rooting around for what I want every time I make a new block. If I don't find what I am looking for,  I just go into my fabric stash, or my box of scraps, and cut more strips. I even found a few pre-cut strips in my stash that I was able to use, and that made me especially happy!

Here are the blocks I've made so far on my design wall:
This photo shows the 16 blocks I've made so far, and it's about 4 ft. square. I guess I'd need to make another row of blocks all around---20 blocks---to have a bed-sized quilt. I'm having fun with this so I'm optimistic.....I'll keep you posted on my progress.

3 comments:

  1. I put mine away for now, to many other things that need finishing. Sigh. Seeing this makes me want to get out the strips and make more scrappy trip blocks. I shall live through yours for now. Love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to figure out what constitutes a block so as not to look just a random selection of squares.

    ReplyDelete